Monday, November 19, 2007

menu brainstorm

I've been toying with the idea of starting a catering company, with a niche in local, sustainably produced food. I catered a party last month for 125 people and had fun with it, though learned that it is a huge amount of work to pull these things off.

I'm not ready to give up my day job, whatwith the steady salary and health care (not to mention the 9-to-5 workday), but I haven't given up on the idea. I haven't been doing very aggressive marketing, but someone who was at the last event tracked me down and I now have my second client.

So I am planning a luncheon menu for 25 in mid-December. She requested latkes and applesauce, and asked me to put together the rest of the menu based on what's available around here at that time of year. Here's what I have so far:

- latkes with applesauce and sour cream
- curried coleslaw with apples and raisins
- apple gingerbread upside down cake

I 'm struggling with the main dish here. I think that a pork tenderloin roast on this menu would be divine, but doubt that the large number of Jewish folks at the party would think so. Am thinking wild mushroom pierogies, but worry that the pierogies and latkes will be to many starches. Mushroom soup? Does anyone ever want soup at a catered event? Fritata?

Perhaps if I go to bed I will dream up a solution.

No comments: