Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eat Well

"Few things in life are more intimate than eating. When I eat a tomato, I am transforming it into my body. I take it into my mouth; my saliva and gastric juices break it down into nutrients that feed my muscles, my bones, my brain, my skin. Nor am I eating only a tomato: I’m eating the sun, soil, and rain that grew it. I’m also communing with the workers who planted the seed, cultivated the plant, and picked the fruit. Eating, even eating alone, is always a form of communion." - Amy Assinger

Just read a phenomenal article by Wendell Berry about eating consciously. Many good things in it worth talking about (and perhaps I will get to more of them later). But one stuck with me.

He pointed out that so much of our current industrial food culture of heavily processed food is marketed to us as faster, easier, implying that it will allow us more time for greater quality of life.

But what life is this that they're talking about? What is it that we rush through our day for, rush through cooking, eating, commuting and chores. We hurry through our meals to get to what?

What are we hurrying through? Isn't this my life? Preparing this food. Sharing this meal. This laundry. Listening to this song. This bus ride. Writing down this thought. Reading this paragraph. This very one. Right now.

Enjoying food is such a great way to connect with the world outside ourselves - with the earth, the farmers and workers in our community, the people we share our meals with.

Why are we rushing through that?

-------------

I threw together dinner tonight with leftover groceries and made up a recipe that was super tasty and thought I would share it.

Wild Rice with Autumn Veggies (serves 2)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 c wild rice
  • 1c shitake mushrooms cut into halves or thirds
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped small
  • 1 acorn squash
  • a few cloves of minced garlic
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  1. cut the squash in half, scoop out seeds, and bake face down on an oiled cookie sheet at 350 for an hour.
  2. cook the rice in chicken broth for 50 minutes (bring to boil then turn down to low with a tight fitting lid).
  3. about ten minutes before the rice is done, saute the onion in some olive oil until it is good and soft and beginning to caramelize.
  4. add the mushrooms and garlic.
  5. scoop the insides of the squash into the frying pan in bite size spoonfuls (tongs can be useful for handling the hot squash).
  6. fold in the rice.
  7. add salt and pepper to taste (I like lots).
  8. voila! eat!

No comments: